Author Topic: [SOLVED] multiple master font  (Read 3346 times)

Offline chardonnay

[SOLVED] multiple master font
« on: May 02, 2007, 11:24:56 AM »
Hi there,

today I encountered an old document (which I converted to ID CS2) that contains an MM-font. Font is not correctly embeddable or subsetted in the genarated PDF.
Does anybody have a decent workaround for this?

TIA ! Erwin

Offline Glenn

Re: multiple master font
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:40:38 PM »
Didn't this used to be a problem with quark 6?

the fix was to use Distiller and get it to pick up the font even if it wasn't going in the postscript code.
I also seem to remember that Freehand EPS files would indicate a different font name to quark than the MM was actually called so it would miss it on output. I would convert these cases to outline.

With IDCS2 I don't believe it will allow you to Export a pdf if you don't have the fonts for embedding, have you tried Export as well as printing postscript?

Offline chardonnay

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:01:22 PM »
Glenn, it is working in Xpress 6.5 via Distiller, though not if I convert this file to an ID CS2 file and export with fonts embedded and/or subsetted.
Postscript/EPS output doesn't help.

To convert the type to outlines is the most suitable option.

Thanks for your input !

Offline chardonnay

Updated multiple master font
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »
An update:

I encountered the same problem w/t Kinesis MM font. I think that (as far as I am concerned now) this goes about Xpress-docs that I converted to Indesign.

When I create a new document in ID2 and set that to Kinesis MM, it goes to PDF without trouble regarding the font.

Also, the original Xpress-document doesn't have any problems w/t the MM-font.

The Xpress document in case has style sheets that are properly converted in ID2, only when I select the font in ID it doesn't say the weightnaming.
Similar to this: *[0]*. Maybe it is possible to reselect the weightnaming via the character styles in ID2. I'm yet going to try that - for the sake of interest, to find a more sophisticated solution than converting everything to outlines.

*Awaits question: why do you convert to ID2 when you also have Xpress ;-)*

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:37:56 AM »
Why do you convert to ID2 when you also have Xpress  8) ?

Actually I can think of a few cases where it is less hassle to convert and alter the introduced problems than struggle with quark. I think they all involve pdfs and/or Illustrator.

OT are you still using Delta?

Offline chardonnay

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 03:25:48 PM »
As I assumed: when I reselect the appropriate weightnaming in the stylesheets, the problem is solved. I had to check in the Xpress doc what the used weights were.

The font's weightnaming comes up different in Xpress than it is in ID2 (fi: 'KinesMM_380 RG' in Xpress is 'Kinesis MM Roman', weightnaming 'regular' in ID2).
So somewhere along the line of conversion, ID2 decides to set that naming to *[0]*, and when PDF-ing, as a result ID2 can't embed the font.

OT are you still using Delta?

You mean Delta from Heidelberg? No actually not. I switched from job. The last system I was using was Agfa's ApogeeX 3.5. Do you have a particular question regarding Delta?

Offline Glenn

Re: [SOLVED] multiple master font
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 05:22:33 AM »
No particular questions about Delta, just curious.