Author Topic: Noobie to demo  (Read 2019 times)

Offline larsen67

Noobie to demo
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »
Emma, I have had a quick look at em's web site & downloaded a demo version. I will try install as soon as I get the chance. A few other things to sort just at the minute. Im sure I will have some questions for you soonish to me $400 could be well worth the out lay for the size of this project around 7000 products could eventually make it into this. Just a few quick ones to start with though. Is Excel required by by me or can someone in other dept format the data for me and I just access the files? Would I be looking at just this product or do I need this in conjunction with the others. I also have to process 27,000 product images for web site & DAM while Im doing nothing!!!
Posted on: May 10, 2007, 07:53:41 AM
I have had opportunity to have a very quick play with the demo version. I tried the sample that you gave:

«fields code, description, qty, price, best
«code»tab«desc»tab«qty»tab«price»tab«best»

This works great from the clipboard (had to change the delimiter to tab in prefs) for my sample text file. The only thing thats not functioning as expected is the description field. I just get "desc" Im sure this is a very simple issue to sort. Thanks again for the tip this could prove a serious time saver.

BTW how are you posting screen grabs?

Offline Emma

Re: Noobie to demo
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 05:21:07 PM »
Description is not working because I made an error (deliberate of course, you fell into my trap!). In the 'field declaration' line I called it 'description' but when I called upon it I said 'desc'. Make them both the same, otherwise XData cannot understand you.

Yes, I forgot to mention the preferences have to be tab delimited (unless you're using a CSV file).

Excel - you shouldn't need it. Is that how the data is being supplied? They can simply send it as a tab delimited text file, and it will work fine. Sometimes it's useful to manipulate the data a little in Excel, but this sounds fairly straightforward and you shouldn't need  to. If they do supply an Excel file you can always ask a colleague in another dept to just open it up and save it out again. You can even bring the text into Quark the conventional way to check on the field order etc., then just copy it and use 'import from clipboard'.

Images - XData can handle these too, though I haven't done much of it. You'd probably need them named pretty tightly.

Screen grab - I uploaded it to fotopic.net where I have a free account, then got its address (slightly fiddly) and put it between a {img} and a {/img} but with square brackets instead of curly ones.

XData is pretty powerful and can cope with ifs, repeats, simple calculations. And if you want to do something trivial like just swap the order of 2 columns, «b»tab«a» will do it for you (if you don't name the fields, it will assume they are a,b,c...)

Have fun.
------------
Quark 6.5
OS X 10.4.8
G4

Offline larsen67

Re: Noobie to demo
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:22:23 AM »
Emma, made the simple change and it works a treat. Thank you very much you have no idea (although you probably do) how much time this is going to save me. I should be able to claw back some of the lost time now. The clipboard route works exactly like I would want it to. I did expect that this would be a more full blown solution requiring a sound knowledge of data base management (which I don't possess) I will just have the files supplied so I can open in Text Edit for visual check and copy to clipboard. I've done plenty of jobs that require this kind of formatting I won't be looking back now. I will be boosting you karma accordingly… and if I pass by Leeds there will be beers on me.