Author Topic: how best to present the data  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Glenn

how best to present the data
« on: May 15, 2007, 03:22:23 AM »
Should you follow some sort of naming convention for pictures when setting up the data?

I haven't used this sort of application but understand the principle that different fields from a database or cells from a spreadsheet can be exported then auto styled. So for example I want to set up an excel sheet with info for various places and would want this to flow into pages with a picture, I don't want to bloat the excel file with pics so I'm guessing that one of the cells would contain the picture file name.

Whats the best way to arrange the data with the pics?

Offline Emma

Re: how best to present the data
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:37:59 AM »
I've not needed to import pictures much... If you're working in a catalogue environment, pictures should be named according to catalogue number or sku code. And that's never as simple as you might think... There may be several shots of a product, or a group shot of several products. But with luck if your spreadsheet/database can calculate the filename, and if necessary the path, it should work.

To be honest, I've found it easier to put pictures in manually... Can you give us any more details of the project?
------------
Quark 6.5
OS X 10.4.8
G4

Offline Glenn

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 04:18:13 AM »
Its still very much at the research stage but the idea is to have 365 main pictures along with a few basic facts and maybe a bit of blurb, maybe an additional picture of a map along with the main pic.
Eventually it would be printed as a tear off diary pad, rather than a catalogue.

Offline Emma

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:45:49 AM »
I guess your easiest option would be to assign a picture per day and name them '1' thru '365', then your picture name is the same as the record number.
------------
Quark 6.5
OS X 10.4.8
G4

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »
Can't do that since I won't decide which goes on which page till the end.

Can I just record the filename in an Excel cell which will come in with the rest of the data?

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »
Can't do that since I won't decide which goes on which page till the end.

Can I just record the filename in an Excel cell which will come in with the rest of the data?

Pardon me if I butt in but this wouldn't solve anything. If you do not know which picture goes with which record you'd be best to leave them out of the Excel file alltogether.
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline Glenn

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 04:54:48 AM »
I've explained this really badly.

I know which picture will go with which records.
I don't know what order the pages will fall.
I can manipulate the order of the records really easily in excel, otherwise I'd just record all the info directly in quark or Indesign.
I just wondered if I can just reference the image in excel (rather than include 365 big bloaty tiff files) and still have it auto import when it comes to that late stage.
To use Adobe terminology I want to Link rather than Embed the pictures.

Offline Emma

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 04:58:18 AM »
Linking is more a job for XCatalog! You could link the picture box to the 'picture name' field of the relevent record (doesn't have to be a database, you could still use Excel). Then at the last minute you could update the links and the pictures would pop in, sized to fit if that was your setting.

However, XCatalog is a much steeper learning curve than XData, another purchase, and maybe overkill for this purpose.
------------
Quark 6.5
OS X 10.4.8
G4

Offline Glenn

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 07:14:57 AM »
Thanks Emma, when I get to 50 posts I'll add some karma. (and fries ;D)

Offline Emma

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 07:29:14 AM »
No fries, I'm trying to lose weight. Or rather keep it off. Perhaps I could risk some banana chips...
------------
Quark 6.5
OS X 10.4.8
G4