Author Topic: Image Events  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Erik Youngren

• Robotech and Rolemaster freak.
    • Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums
Image Events
« on: July 05, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »
Need some help. I'm reworking my photo processing  process and it's going to run on an OSX machine (10.3.9) this time. I have successfully scripted a Folder Action Script to save out a TIF file of images place inside the folder and I have gotten it to scale. What I can't figure out is the terminology to get images to convert from RGB to either CMYK or Grayscale. I also can't figure out how to change resolution.

What's the proper terminology for this? Or can this be done?

Erik Youngren
Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums
17" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz • 2GB RAM •OSX 10.4.11 • QXP 8.5 • ID CS4 • Suitcase Fusion 2

Offline larsen67

Re: Image Events
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 03:49:03 AM »
Erik, Image Events is a better reading tool rather than an editing one. It can do some things but its very limited. You will find color space is R/O read only, also while you can scale an image to new dimensions the current resolution is maintained. So you cannot down size the dimensions of a 72dpi image to increase its resolution to 300dpi. If you need this without Photoshop then look to Graphic Converter (it was bundled free with some macs).

Offline Erik Youngren

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:15:39 PM »
Thanks. After I posted this I did some more digging and found that out. Lost a few hours yesterday. We have been using GraphicConverter to do this. I have only been doing touchups to the files once they get processed.

So, I went back to script GraphicConverter.

This works:

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
   tell application "GraphicConverter"
      repeat with this_item in these_items
         convert file (this_item as file specification) using batch ("Pueblo4:Users:eyoungren:Library:Application Support:GraphicConverter:Actions:CMYK" as file specification) to folder "Pueblo4:Users:eyoungren:Desktop:test"
      end repeat
   end tell
end adding folder items to

I did it to test it and I can also copy it and it works with a Grayscale batch file. All local.

This does NOT work:

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
   tell application "GraphicConverter"
      repeat with this_item in these_items
         convert file (this_item as file specification) using batch ("Pueblo4:Users:eyoungren:Library:Application Support:GraphicConverter:Actions:Grayscale" as file specification) to folder "EDITORIAL:NEWSPAPERS:WEEKLY:Week of 7-12-07 & 7-13-07:GRAPHICS:PROCESSED:"
      end repeat
   end tell
end adding folder items to

The only difference being that the first destination for processed files is on my local hard drive. The one that does not work has a destination on our Win SBS 2003 server. I have no idea why it won't process this, although it seems to be the case in one other script I have tried. But I do have scripts from my OS9 Mac that I have had to run off this OSX Mac on occaision and those DO work off the server.

Any idea on that one?

Erik Youngren
17" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz • 2GB RAM •OSX 10.4.11 • QXP 8.5 • ID CS4 • Suitcase Fusion 2

Offline Erik Youngren

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 05:56:23 PM »
Well, never mind to this I guess. Get this. The non-working script ran my OSX G5 of course does not work. BUT, the same damn script run on my Powermac 7300/200 with 48mb of RAM and a 1gb hard disk - RUNS!

Go freaking figure!

Erik Youngren

Offline rayl

• totalworks
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 10:36:45 AM »
Don't have ap but doesn't & have to be handled special inside string? Upon testing & inside string and as path component & should not be problem on ntfs system. Never used & in folder name before.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 12:17:39 PM by rayl »
Raymond Lareine • MacBook CoreDuo • Mac OS 10.6.8 • Totalworks (retired)

Offline Erik Youngren

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 01:24:19 PM »
I have not been scripting for very long so I would guess you are probably right. Although, I did a test before moving this to my OS9 Mac that had no special characters and no spaces. Didn't work. The only thing I can figure is that Dave runs on the OS9 Mac (so thar it can connect to our server) but not on my G5. However, as previously mentioned most of the scripts I copied over from the OS9 Mac ran on my G5 with the exact same pathnames intact. So, that's kind of why I am left scratching my head here. So far it seems for us that when the boss finally gets around to another Mac for us (the 7200 is mine) I'm going to keep my scripts (and that Mac) running in OS9. Oh well.

Erik Youngren