Author Topic: Script for printing  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Android

• Visitor
Script for printing
« on: August 29, 2007, 06:52:18 PM »
We are using a pretty old version of Quarkxpress on a network.  When we send a page to print, we have to go through this whole process of choosing the setup tab, picking a printer, a paper size, clicking print settings and doing the same thing, then, when we go to print, we have to redirect the program to another directory to locate the image files.  It's always the same printer settings, and it's always the same directory (tho different file names).  Is an Applescript an appropriate tool to speed this process along?

Offline AutoFetishist

Re: Script for printing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:12:53 AM »
Yep. How old is "old?"

Plus give us your OS.

Offline Android

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 12:36:03 PM »
Thanks for the interest.  It's a real booger.

We have OS 9 and QuarkXpress 5.0

We start with a page as the selected window. 
I choose file, print.  The Print menu comes up and I choose the "Setup" tab, select printer description as "Xante Accel-a-writer 4N v7" and set papersize to "Tabloid."
Then I choose the "printer button" button, bringing up a different window, and set the paper source to "Manual feed."   Then I hit the print button on this latest window, and hit print again on the print menu.  Then a message comes up telling me it cannot find some image files, so I have to hit the list pictures button, and doubgle click on a file name, then browse to the network directory with the files (it's always the same directory), then I click the open button and then print.  Then the finder notifies me that it needs attention in order to put the proper paper on the printer.  I click ok and it prints.

Welcome to my world.  I call it Kluge Land

Offline AutoFetishist

Sorry for being slow to reply
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:22:27 AM »
I'm sure you're not looking to spend more cash (if you're still using Classic/Q5), but check out Pre-Fab Player:

http://prefabsoftware.com/player/

Offline Emma

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 04:31:36 AM »
Unless I'm missing something, can't you do all this with Print Styles?

Go to Edit -> Print Styles then select 'New'. You can set up just about everything there. Then when you go to print, just select the style you've created from the drop down menu in the Print dialog.

Unless I'm totally confused (not improbable), we had that in Quark 4, so it must be there in 5??
------------
Quark 6.5
OS X 10.4.8
G4

Offline AutoFetishist

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:37 AM »
Yes Emma, he should set up print styles, but I think (think) he might be trying to also automate the action in the Chooser (wow, haven't brought that up in a while). Always remember that being the achilles heel of automating in OS 9.

Android, set up a document the way you want it, then run this code:

Code: [Select]
tell application "QuarkXPress"
tell document 1
get print setup
end tell
end tell

then write back with what you get in the "Result" pane.