Author Topic: Betatester: Microsoft Publisher to Indesign  (Read 2022 times)

Offline chardonnay

Betatester: Microsoft Publisher to Indesign
« on: October 25, 2007, 02:28:08 PM »
I came across this link, Markzware is handing out a betatester for conversion plugin: Microsoft Publisher to ID.

http://markzware.com/pub2id/

For what i've read the tester works for 10 days, i'm not sure if this is true, though.

I don't receive Publisher files at all, above might be good for those who do. Which leads to the question: does anyone actually receive native Publisher files nowadays?

Offline Erik Youngren

• Robotech and Rolemaster freak.
    • Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums
Re: Betatester: Microsoft Publisher to Indesign
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 03:23:41 PM »
Does anyone actually receive Publisher files nowadays?

Unforunately, yes. We do. And despite the fact that our Ad Manager has a fact sheet that tells her we don't and haven't since the end of 2006, we still get them from her customers. A lot of municpal governments seem to have Publisher and they use this to do flyers. Then they send their flyer to us at 8.5x11 inches and RGB color so we can run a 3.333x3 inch ad for them (grayscale) in our papers.

Every time I have to tell our Ad Manager we DON"T TAKE PUBLISHER FILES, have them send a PDF I get a blank look on her face!

Ah well, that's our Ad Manager.....

Erik Youngren
Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums
17" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz • 2GB RAM •OSX 10.4.11 • QXP 8.5 • ID CS4 • Suitcase Fusion 2

Offline marcusstringer

• Midland Typesetters
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 04:54:23 PM »
Your not the only one...
also coral draw as well...

Markzware do a great job with these. Especialy the Quark to indesign converter, and we use flightcheck all the time, an awsome way to quickly get the effective resolution on images and what page page is effected

Offline chardonnay

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 11:28:40 AM »
Lately I had to do  a job that was to be printed in China.

I created the artwork, partly to be printed in offset, partially silkscreen. Handed them PDF. It turns out that they could only handle JPG/CDR fileformats.

I sent them generic-EPS, and they had to reconstruct some artwork again There were numerous problems (note to self: be ahead, counterpart problems before they might occur, so my fist call is lacking here also).

I must say that I take them as a professional graphic dept. for printing.
I still do, they try to properly solute, only: personally I do not have the insight why PDF is not taken as standard globally, yet.

Imho the advantage to any professional working environment in applications (not taking RIPsoftware, CTP/CTF machinery in count) isn't that big, counter that with the invest in a CS-suite, to avoid time-consuming vice-versas.

Also I found out that there are communication problems in language involved, this can be a real problem. Exit Babylon. I vote for a global language: that might be English.

Which for me can also be a problem, i've learned it from a book;-)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:38:43 AM by chardonnay »