Author Topic: Euro in Fonts question  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Emma

Euro in Fonts question
« on: April 19, 2007, 05:45:59 AM »
Can't find appropriate forum for this question....

Customer has supplied styles for a job, prices in Euros and font is Bitstream Swiss 721. We've had this font about 100 years, and it doesn't have a Euro on option-2, but theirs obviously does. Can we ask for a copy of theirs, or are we supposed to buy the whole thing again for one character (we bought entire Bitstream library originally)? Does anyone know? Usually we get around this by using a similar font with the Euro in it, but this has a specific look and we won't get away with faking it for an entire catalogue!

thanks for any thoughts....
------------
Quark 6.5
OS X 10.4.8
G4

Offline Glenn

Re: Euro in Fonts question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:12:40 AM »
You are supposed to buy the whole thing again.

The exception to this would be if your client had generated/amended the font themselves (or created just the Euro symbol in a program like Fontographer). In this case to use their font you would just need the license for the original Bitstream Swiss 721 along with their permission.

Offline Emma

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:19:27 AM »
At least I don't have to pay for it! It's being re-purchased. 'What weights?' said our IT man. All, we said firmly. Imagine buying a weight at a time and all the inconvenience...
------------
Quark 6.5
OS X 10.4.8
G4

Offline larsen67

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 07:52:19 AM »
Emma, I've had the exact same issue with our versions of bitstream fonts and we re-purchased just to be safe. We've even had font families that appear to have additional weights added since our original purchase. They are very expensive on an individual basis when you consider how much the whole set was all them years ago.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:05:24 AM »
I count 32 weights including outline and rounded for 721 that could be 900.
Double that would buy the new Bitstream library.

Offline Emma

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »
Turned out saying 'All' firmly didn't wash! Apparently they are 28 each, but to get them all would be 800, and the entire library 900. I would have gone for entire library, but now we have to settle for Light, Roman and Bold. And now the dilemma is whether to overwrite our original fonts or put these in as additional ones and if so how. I hate having repeated fonts - we use Font Reserve, and so many people are allowed to add fonts to the database that the whole thing is a big scary mess already....
------------
Quark 6.5
OS X 10.4.8
G4

Offline chardonnay

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »
Don't you get a discount when you allready purchased this collection? It seems to me this is similar to an 'upgrade'.

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »
Don't you get a discount when you allready purchased this collection? It seems to me this is similar to an 'upgrade'.

I'd be surprised if she did. Font manufacturer will jump at any occasion to get moeny from you. Since there are no protection on them anybody and everybody can share them at will which gouges their revenus quite a bit.

I wonder though what happen to the old rule that you can supply distribute screen fonts at will but not the printer fonts. Now that fonts are made up of only one file, what are we supposed to do?
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline larsen67

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:17:57 AM »
We've recently gone for a server solution to help reduce the number of licenses we need to buy. We use lots of fonts one family weighed in at 1800. Its not gone active just yet and Im dreading the day it does Im sure I will have lots of issues to try and sort then. The other concern was that with some vendors only opentype versions are now available and I don't know how nicely they will play (with quark that is). I know the first 256 glyphs should but that doesn't appear to always be the case. "Worm can" springs to mind!

Offline Glenn

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 03:28:27 AM »
Just had a brochure in today. The designer has used Verdana for the symbol in a Swiss 721 BT body text, doesn't look out of place at all :)