Author Topic: Unable to connect to new Quark forum  (Read 15709 times)

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
Re: Unable to connect to new Quark forum
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 08:55:49 AM »
I recall trying web sharing in my system prefs once before but I was not able to access the URL when cut and paste to by browser. Im presuming this is being blocked by our network at some point. Its no big deal
Enabling Web sharing like this will open your mac's ability to publish web pages. However, there is more to it than that. Being on a local area network often mean that the IP address allocated to your mac will ONLY WORK from within that same network. If they are any competent, your network administrator has shielded you from the internet while exposing just a few machines to the outside world.

You probably know this but when, from your mac, you ask to see a webpage, your mac sends a request to a machine that has both accesses to the outside and inside world. That machine will get the webpage for you and send it back to you according to your local IP. But for this to work, in a basic situation, you have to initiate the transaction.

Of course there are way to circumvent that (on your side) with the help of your Admin by "punching a hole" into your Firewall. Doing this your Admin will assign a PORT to you and redirect any traffic made to that port to your machine. I have to tell you though that most administrator are squeamish about doing this as they lose the "integrity" of their Firewall. In essence, any malicious intents going through "your" port would have to be dealt with by your machine or else they will have access to your whole network.

That said, it is much simpler to register for a free web hosting account where you could upload your avatar. Chances are, if you have access to the Internet from your home, it is very likely that your basic package from your service provider includes a small web presence area. You could also ask your admin to put it on a webserver that has access to the Internet.
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline larsen67

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 09:50:17 AM »
Glenn, I had made by own custom Avatar (being as silly as I am) so I have no web source to cut & paste from.

Michel, That is pretty much as I expected our studio mac system is linked into our PC system before going out to the net. We now have no internal PC admin to be able to port me through the firewall and its something I want to stay well clear of doing myself. Like I say its no big deal (it must have taken longer to write your reply than I spent making it)

Offline Glenn

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »
Glenn, I had made by own custom Avatar (being as silly as I am) so I have no web source to cut & paste from
so you have to upload this to a free hosting site. let me know when you find a good one.

Offline Jean-Marie Schwartz

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 09:58:44 AM »
I on my part simply selected a picture on the Web and basta. It's much easier.
Jean-Marie Schwartz
May the Schwartz be with you :-)

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.8.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 • Adobe CS5 =

Offline Glenn

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »
me too.

basta

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »
Glenn, I had made by own custom Avatar (being as silly as I am) so I have no web source to cut & paste from.

Michel, That is pretty much as I expected our studio mac system is linked into our PC system before going out to the net. We now have no internal PC admin to be able to port me through the firewall and its something I want to stay well clear of doing myself. Like I say its no big deal (it must have taken longer to write your reply than I spent making it)
You can now upload it here... Go to your Profile and you should now be able to supply your own Avatar.
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline Glenn

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
and it better be good after all this fuss :P

nope

no pressure here

imagine you're german and talking a penalty kick...

Offline larsen67

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 11:08:25 AM »
"and it better be good after all this fuss" nope… and all what fuss I said in my last post it wasn't worth the effort I had already given up on it and only wasted 2 minutes.

here is what I tried:

http://www.imagechicken.com/viewcode.php?p=1213889048058616200&x=gif

I resized to 100x75pix and still won't let me load file directly

Let this be and end to this…

BTW I have scored penalties against both Alex Stepney (1 out of 3) & Joe Corrigan (1 out of 3) when I was about 8 although I do think they let us get at least one each (never could play)

Offline Glenn

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 11:25:32 AM »
Let this be and end to this… OK

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 12:24:24 PM »
"and it better be good after all this fuss" nope… and all what fuss I said in my last post it wasn't worth the effort I had already given up on it and only wasted 2 minutes.

here is what I tried:

http://www.imagechicken.com/viewcode.php?p=1213889048058616200&x=gif

I resized to 100x75pix and still won't let me load file directly

Let this be and end to this…

BTW I have scored penalties against both Alex Stepney (1 out of 3) & Joe Corrigan (1 out of 3) when I was about 8 although I do think they let us get at least one each (never could play)

Hummm.... It worked for me, see!

Actually, the path you have supplied is for the page itself not the image, What you need to paste into the appropriate field is :
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1213889048058616200.gif
and save your preferences

Your profile pic will stay put as long as that path is functional.

Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Script Debugger 4.5