Author Topic: CS3 details  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Glenn

CS3 details
« on: March 27, 2007, 04:32:11 AM »
CS3 details are on Adobe's web site this morning, including pricing.
Upgrade to CS3 Design Premium from CS2 is a whopping 600+VAT(GBP) compared to just $599 (USD).

So nice to see Adobe copying Quark at last :P

Offline thing

Re: CS3 details
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:48:06 AM »
The old swap the dollar sign for a pound sign thing was old a long time ago and, until recently, I was pleased to see Adobe had stopped doing it. For a while you could buy stuff in the UK for nearly the correct amount given the exchange rate.

Not any more, it seems. Just like Quark as you say.

Sickens me that we (Europeans since the poor sods who use the Euro get the same raw deal) get shafted like this.

There is, as always, a solution. Don't buy it. But for this to work the vast majority of potential European purchasers would have to veto the product and tell Adobe (or whoever) why. Not going to happen, I think.

Greg
Two sheep, perchance two breem!

Offline Glenn

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 09:00:29 AM »
Hi Greg
Not going to happen indeed, I managed to put off the purchase of quark7 till last week. I expect to be needing CS3 within a month of launch, such is the spread of files coming to me in pre-press these days in the UK.

Offline charlieartist

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Not to mention the pricing for the various flavors of the Creative Suite. Since I am doing more web work now, Fireworks is being used more. For the design bundle, I would have to purchase it separately, or buy the Master suite. That is pretty pricey (about $1,500, IIRC). Will take some serious mulling...

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 09:10:59 PM »
I saw the Master Suite listed at $2400.00 US (or thereabout)

That said they do have multiple package options. I sat through their Webcast today (Adobe's) and I must say that CS3 looks very promising.

Michel
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline marcusstringer

• Midland Typesetters
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 01:57:53 AM »
I just looked at the InDesign features for CS3...

I must say I think I'll almost upgrade for the table feature alone, which they ripped off from Teacup software.

I let pray for everyone, when I pray they have fixed the Shortcut button issue so I can use the"F" keys instead of the stupid keypad combo that they have now.

Offline thing

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 03:01:56 AM »
Yeah CS3 looks great for sure, but I'm seriously ****ed that Adobe have gone back to the swap dollar sign for pound (or euro) sign rubbish.

At nearly 2,400 the master suite sells (or will sell) in the UK for over 4,700 USD. Total and utter rip off. Quark are the same, 749 USD or GBP for the full v7.

Trading standards should put a stop to this rubbish. Of course I know they won't.

Offline chardonnay

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »
963.90 (inc. VAT) to CS3 Premium from an upgrade from 2.3 Premium... I can't seem to find the upgrade price for the standard edition.

Good software may cost, for my small business usage the upgrade investment seems a little high to me.

Offline thing

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 03:11:53 AM »
There is an upgrade from the standard edition but finding it is slow and confusing. I'd suggest phoning sales.

Better yet I'd suggest don't do it. It's way, way past time that companies stopped shafting Europeans like this. I have read from some users on the Adobe forum that they've had success buying upgrades from the US and using them on European machines, but I'm not convinced yet. Personally I've lodged a complaint both with Adobe (pointless I know) and with the European Commission on fair trading, or whatever it's called. Again probably pointless but I know I'm not alone - at least 10 others I personally know of have done same, plus there have been a few posts on various forums about others doing it too.

Long and short of it is I won't pay Adobe's insane prices and I'd urge others not to - how badly do you really, really need to upgrade?

Greg.

Offline marcusstringer

• Midland Typesetters
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 05:14:38 PM »
Really badly...Once some designer gets their hands on it, and sends us a file to work on...

BTW. Australian Design Premium
Upgrade=$765
Full=$3,119