Author Topic: RIP CRT  (Read 6356 times)

Offline larsen67

RIP CRT
« on: October 27, 2008, 06:10:48 AM »
Well on friday my trusty old monitor went up in a cloud of smoke. The old G4 that I have at home is on its second power supply and I think its days are numbered too. I don't think my budget will stretch to a spanking new mac pro so Im looking at getting the 24" iMac this will be my first experience with the intel macs. I know this should be fine but I will need to partition the drive as I want to have Leopard & Tiger installed (I need to run CS2 & Quark 6.5 to be able to work from home) just wondering if anybody has any experience of working on one of these and how they rate it? I can only go to 4gb ram & only 1 internal hd. I would like a time capsule but that would have to come later. Im sure if I go for this I will need to ask some now old stuff about running scripts etc.

Offline Jean-Marie Schwartz

Re: RIP CRT
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:21:36 AM »
Maybe this is very subjective, but I couldn't work on a "new" iMac because of its display.
This said, what's the problem with partitionning the HD? Are you saying you've never done that before and you'd like some help? Or is it more about having 2 sytems working on a single machine?
Jean-Marie Schwartz
May the Schwartz be with you :-)

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.8.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 • Adobe CS5 =

Offline larsen67

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:54:10 AM »
Im hoping that partitioning the drive will be easy. I have done this lots of times before now. I've never tried any of my apps on an intel mac before. The mac will of cause come with Leopard installed but I will need to flatten the hd to partition it. Before Im able to reinstall 2 systems having never used an imac at work or used Leopard before I was wondering if anybody had done this before. Time machine will be something I will need to check first I think. What don't you like about the display?

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:48:54 AM »
Im hoping that partitioning the drive will be easy.
:)
I have done this lots of times before now. I've never tried any of my apps on an intel mac before. The mac will of cause come with Leopard installed but I will need to flatten the hd to partition it. Before Im able to reinstall 2 systems having never used an imac at work or used Leopard before I was wondering if anybody had done this before. Time machine will be something I will need to check first I think. What don't you like about the display?
I've installed 2 of them a couple of months ago. Nothing very special about it. Don't know if you want to use Time machine on the same HD. They don't recommend this but that's what I've done*. In this case I had no extra disk to link to so I partitioned the HD as to house a backup straight. Today the client phoned me for the second time to get help to recover data and fortunately Time machine is linked to the same machine which is by far easier for the client (!). I myself have not installed Leopard on my machine so it's the only approach I have of it.

* I think it depends on how you see Time machine: or as a backup in case your machine crashes badly (in which case it's obviously not to be installed on the same HD), or as a backup in case you delete some important data (in which case a partition is OK).

What don't you like about the display?
Its reflects. I have a Cinema display which is much more convenient for me. But as I told you this is probably very subjective and it won't bother you.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.8.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 • Adobe CS5 =

Offline larsen67

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 12:45:32 PM »
The partition would not be for time machine. I was just hoping that it would not have an effect on it. I have a few external drives that I could use for that. For back up purposes using the same HD would not be suitable I've had several HD's go down in my time (I have several HD utilities for recovery) The screen I think I could live with I don't intend to use this mac all the time but would be required once in a while to work from home. For a proper back-up I could take our TAIT drive home and use that.

Offline larsen67

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 04:18:48 AM »
Having delved into this a bit more it looks like my plans have been scuppered. Tiger it would appear is not capable of booting one of these new iMacs and Leopard is minimum requirement. So partitioning the drive or winding back the OS with my Tiger disc are out. Im going to have to have a re-think… BTW it was more the subjective that I was after having only had a quick play in the Apple Store Im not too keen on the Mighty Mouse the wireless keyboard is not extended. I have no idea how long the batteries perform for with these, a pain? Would have preferred matt finish monitor but think I could live with it. I could do with getting to know Leopard though. Thanks for the input anyhow.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:27:32 AM »
Tiger it would appear is not capable of booting one of these new iMacs and Leopard is minimum requirement. So partitioning the drive or winding back the OS with my Tiger disc are out.
Oops! Didn't notice that bit. It's true on my side I only installed Leopard, not both of them. Simply thought it'd be OK.  :-\
Sorry about it!
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Offline larsen67

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »
JMS, me too… what do they say "presumption is the mother of all **ck ups" a near expensive mistake!

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »
... (I need to run CS2 & Quark 6.5 to be able to work from home) ...

Hi Larsen, I am coming in late but I wanted to tell you that I do run these apps on my Intel mac running Leopard...

Why do you feel you still need Tiger?
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline larsen67

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Michel, you are not too late (nothing purchased just yet) I've been very happy with the last version of Tiger IMO its been the best OS experience yet bar none. I really am 50/50 at the moment as to try running these apps on Leopard. The Apple retailer has all the same versions installed on the demo machine. But as we know demos & real life working of apps are two different beasts… Is your over all experience with the versions of the apps I have a good one on this OS?

At work we decided to buy the last generation of the g5 macs to give us as long as possible before needing to upgrade.
At some point or other I will have to get to grips with this OS.