Author Topic: RIP CRT  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
Re: RIP CRT
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 12:57:39 PM »
Nothing big comes to mind so it shouldn't be that bad ;-) I use leopard both at home and at work and both on MacIntel boxes.

Aside from the usual "lost at first" feeling on working with a new OS, most of my problems, and this has nothing to do with Leopard per say, came from the fact that some applications that run under Rosetta does not like having their script (or Script Editor) running outside of Rosetta. For that I duplicated my Script Editor app and renamed them with "(Intel)" and "(Rosetta)" suffixes. I also made sure that the "Rosetta" one had it "Open with Rosetta" flag checked. Now whenever I need to script an application I do it in the "proper" script Editor based on the application build.

HTH
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline larsen67

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 04:25:01 AM »
Michel, that sounds like a top tip I will certainly be coping that idea when I get an intel mac. Amongst other reasons I feel I need to get an up to date & speed mac to progress with my scripting. Im wanting to try my hand at JavaScript too and time for learning at work is minimal. CS4 native apps may be some time off for me yet as much as I would like them I can't justify the cost for the time being.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 07:03:30 AM »
Hi Larsen,

I put an Imac in here a couple of months ago, its well fast compared to the G5 towers. I've loaded it with CS4, Q7, Q8, Suitcase Fusion2 and all work well together. I can definately say now that some fonts behave (reflow) on the intel chip compared to q7 on a PPC. I'd really recommend an external drive for TimeMachine, knock the RAM back to 2GB if money is really tight. We got an external 1TB LaCie for £119, Ive seen an iomega 500GB in Comet for £49.99 this week.

I can't believe you think Tiger is good, you are obviously spoiled at work with your Xserve server, its been nothing but problems here since it went in with talking to old PC's, (though it does seem to work better with our brand new DELL running Windows2003 Server, - maybe just because its put together in Vancouver... Michel?) My impressions of Leopard so far are good, but everytime I use coverflow I want to drag my finger across the screen ipod style.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 07:34:17 AM »
forgot to say, VNC is a lot slicker on leopard.

Offline larsen67

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 09:56:04 AM »
Thanks Glenn, I actually ordered it last week and picked it up yesterday from the Apple Centre here in Chester. Got it home plugged it in and after 2 minutes and entering 2 codes one for the wireless keyboard the other for my wireless hub it was up and running. Went for 4G RAM & 1TB HD the Time Capsule & Externals will have to follow. Got it with EyeTV so I should be able to use it for DTVB too. Tonight I will probably get some of it set up then try work out the TV part as I've never seen this before. It will most likely end up being a media centre but I will need to be able to work on it too from time to time. Were all on G5 towers at work running Tiger with a Tiger xserve the most trouble free network this place has ever seen. I've seen some problems posted about mixing Leopard into a Tiger network so I will have to have a read through them before I try connecting through VPN. Always too much new stuff to be learning and never enough time. For the time being I will not be running native apps but hoping that the speed of the new mac even if running in emulation will be sufficient. Im sure after tonight I will start to have may more questions.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »
I've only seen EyeTV running on a G4 Mac Mini and it was ok but often glitchy and really easy to accidentally wipe a recording. My friend who had it got a stand alone Humax Hard Disc recorder/Freeview box, and uses that all the time now.

Offline larsen67

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 11:15:21 AM »
Installed it last night  :) fired  ;) it up switched to channel 5  :D and city won!!  ;D I bet it can't make them win this weekend its the derby up this end on Sunday… This morning it woke me on schedule booting at 7.30 and playing BBC breakfast, no cup of coffee though…  :(

Offline larsen67

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 04:15:28 AM »
I have been using the EyeTV for over 2 months now and to be honest for the cost of the thing I think its excellent. No issues with anything its recorded and the things I've exported to put on the phone are great. Thus far impressed. Only issue I had was with the internet DB for show listings but that has been fine for some time now.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 04:58:33 AM »
"things I've exported to put on the phone are great"

?

...and City appear to have found £243M under the rug, they should really partner Kaka with Christiano Ronaldo, he wanted to play for a bigger club in the summer.

My new "Media centre" arrived with Santa, but its awkward to use on the internet though, needs an extra £50 bit of kit to record TV, and I can't be bothered trying to copy pics, movies or tunes to its hard drive. On the plus side its a fine bluray player and the games are 1st rate. Its a PS3.

Offline larsen67

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 05:44:51 AM »
Thats next on my list. Santa got me an iPhone and they are fantastic it has already become the tool I don't think I could live without. Some of the apps that are available for it are great too. I have a whole set for my diving that would cost hundreds of £'s and they were less than £10 for the lot. It currently has 8 hours of top gear that I want to watch and 1400 tracks of music.