Author Topic: Shaded boxes over text in Quark 8.01  (Read 2824 times)

Offline billp24

• Visitor
Shaded boxes over text in Quark 8.01
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »
Can anyone help me with this? I've found some stuff from earlier versions but no help for 8.01. I've got a large amount of text flowing in columns on multiple pages. I simply want to have a grey or black box behind some of the headings to make it look like these headings are in boxes.

Thanks!

Bill

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
Re: Shaded boxes over text in Quark 8.01
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:52:15 PM »
What's wrong with drawing boxes behind those texts?

Of course if you want those boxes to "flow" with the text then you will need to:
  • Cut those piece of text in question.
  • Paste them (individually) into shaded text boxes sized to fit
  • Cut those text boxes
  • Paste them in the place you cut the text from (Inline using the text "Contents" tool)

HTH
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline philipcaplan

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:31:33 AM »
Sorry to come in to this thread late, but I've only just learned about and joined this forum...

The way I have always achieved this effect (up to QXP 6.5, the latest version I have, though I wouldn't have thought this function would have been changed/removed in later versions!) is by using Rules Above/Below.

By putting a 'negative' value in the "Offset" fields of a Rule Above or Rule Below (with a Rule of suitable thickness), you can place a "box" (actually a 'bar') behind the text.

Sometimes you can't get one rule to be exactly the right depth/position, so use both Above and Below together, and no 'join' will show when the document is printed! Play around with them on-screen using the "Apply" button to get the effect you want.

You can then set this to be a Style by leaving your cursor in the paragraph, and clicking File>Edit Style Sheets. When you choose to make a New/Paragraph style, you will find the settings are already in there for you!

A couple of points :

-- using values such as mm, pts, etc in the "Offset" field ensures that this works at the top of a page or column; if you use "%" (the default value) it won't.
-- if you need to use Michel's method (perhaps because you want a box-frame instead of a solid box) you **must** make the box about 1mm narrower than the column it is going to go in. If it's the same width, it causes overflow and disappears!

I hope this helps.    PHILIP CAPLAN

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »
Hi Philip and thank you for joining this forum,

Rule Above and Below does work in some cases (Probably in this one) but you are limited to only 1 per paragraph. In order to simulate multiple "highlighted text" areas witthin the same paragraph (or spanning multiple lines with the same paragraph) you need to use anchored boxes or manually and place them behind the text.

Hope this help
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5