Author Topic: Border around PDF  (Read 10083 times)

Offline Good Charlotte

Border around PDF
« on: July 28, 2009, 04:17:31 AM »
Hi All!

I use Export > Layout as PDF within QuarkXPress to produce my PDFs. These have trim marks and bleed as a default setting.

My Director wants me to supply PDFs with trim marks AND a lined border around the document to show the edges.

I can do this manually within Acrobat using the rectangle mark up tool, but I would ideally love to have either a button to check or a script that can automate this process for me as I have 100's a day to produce.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Charlotte
XX
Good Charlotte
-------------------------
Hope for the best - Plan for the worst

Offline larsen67

Re: Border around PDF
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:12:13 AM »
In Quark 6.5 I have an extension called 'PDFBoxer.xnt' installed this adds bleed and page bounds boxes to my PDF's these are non printing boxes and can be made visible in Acrobat Pro under preferences page display and check display art, trim, bleed boxes would this not be an option for you?

Offline Good Charlotte

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:18:57 AM »
Hi Larsen,

Do you use 'Export > Layout as PDF' or go through the Print Dialogue box to create your PDFs?

I have a 'PageFrame' utility that works via the Printer window, but this will only put a border around my print or if I create the PDF via the Print window.

I run a department of 9 people and want to ensure that we have as little operator intervention as possible, so the Layout as PDF option suits us the best.

If your PDFBoxer.xnt works via 'Export... etc' - would you point me in the direction of somewhere that I can purchase it from?

Thanks!
Charlotte

EDIT: I've searched the web and the XTN is no longer available via Quark... any idea where I can get it from?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:31:34 AM by Good Charlotte »
Good Charlotte

Offline Jean-Marie Schwartz

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:20:13 AM »
There is an extension doing what you want and much more. It's called Print Tools by Badia. Read more here. It's not free.
I think there used to be a free one by I don't remember who. What a pity I can't remember the name of it. Don't even know if it'd be available for 7.

This said, a script wouldn't be that difficult to write. Just 4 lines to draw prior to printing, depending on page dimensions. So line 1 from {0,0} to {PW,0}, line 2 from {0,PH} to {PW,PH}, line 3 from {0,0} to {0,PH} and line 4 from {PW,0} to {PW,PH}. If you get what I mean.

HTH.

EDIT: You can even go simpler by drawing a transparent box over the page with a border of 0.3 pt for instance.
EDIT 2: PageFrame is the name I was looking for. And what's the problem with it? Ok it doesn't seem to work via the Export menu. Bad luck.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:24:29 AM by Jean-Marie Schwartz »
Jean-Marie Schwartz
May the Schwartz be with you :-)

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 Mac OS 10.8.5 QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 Adobe CS5 =

Offline larsen67

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:21:36 AM »
Here is what I've had loaded for many a year now. Works with Export and Print to Postscript methods. All I need do is ask for ticks and it adds the rest.

http://downloads.quark.com/Details.aspx?fid=36&

Can't see any update to this for newer versions so it may be of no use to you. It could have been added to the app in some updated feature you would be better of taking with those who have your app version (sorry I don't)

Offline Good Charlotte

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »
Thanks for the link!

I have downloaded it and added it to my xtentions folder (it shows as loaded), but can't see any difference to my pdfs. Should I be able to see a dialogue box to alter the settings?

Thanks,

Charlotte.
Good Charlotte

Offline larsen67

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »
It does actually say V6.1 and later in the link but not which later versions you are trying something that I have not done.

What version of Acrobat are you using in my V7 I can go to preferences then to page display and click the top check box which turns on the view for these boxes. I get a green trim box and a blue bleed box showing

Offline Good Charlotte

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 09:02:57 AM »
Found it!!

I'm on Acrobat 9 - I didn't think to look in Page display.

Thank you so much Larsen!

Charlotte
xxx

Good Charlotte

Offline Good Charlotte

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
Is there any way I can set the blue box to match the green box? I have set the bleed to 0, but it still appears.

See example..

http://tinypic.com/r/2md1kpu/3
Good Charlotte

Offline Glenn

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:09:54 AM »
The coloured boxes in your screen grab don't print.

If your Director wants a line on the PDF that prints I think you'll have to draw one. But then the risk is that this PDF is sent to a printer.

My imposition software uses the PDF Trim box (or can use the PDF Media Box) to position pages, and then when I print lo-res hard copy it rules them up.

You can use Pitstop to view PDF Boxes and you can choose which colour each is displayed (but only by Pitstop) but this is confusingly different from Acrobat. You can also use Pitstop to set the position and size of the blue box (PDF Bleed box) to the green box (PDF Trim box) You'd use an Pitstop Action list so it would just be simple click.

I think larsen's XT isn't needed with q7 and q8 because it gets the boxes automatically when using Export to PDF.  8.1 even lets you get these boxes when you print.