Author Topic: Printing seps from Acrobat 6.0/5.0 via Applescript  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Erik Youngren

• Robotech and Rolemaster freak.
    • Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums
Printing seps from Acrobat 6.0/5.0 via Applescript
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:42:21 PM »
I've managed to cobble together a script that will select my desired printer and document and then print. But I can't figure out how to make it print seps.

I'm testing on Acrobat 6.0, but the end result will ultimately be on Acrobat 5.0

Any ideas?

Here's my script in a run script format just so I could test it.

Thanks.

tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
   set DefaultPrinter to the current printer
   set current printer to printer "Accel-a-Writer 3G"
end tell

tell application "Acrobat 6.0.2 Professional"
   open "Pueblo4:Users:eyoungren:Desktop:seps_GSA1.pdf"
   print pages front document with shrink to fit
   close front document
end tell

tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
   set current printer to DefaultPrinter
end tell

BTW, Michel, maybe a Acrobat scripting section?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:51:12 PM by Publi-Script »

Erik Youngren
Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums
17" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz • 2GB RAM •OSX 10.4.11 • QXP 8.5 • ID CS4 • Suitcase Fusion 2

Offline larsen67

Re: Printing seps from Acrobat 6.0/5.0 via Applescript
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:23:35 AM »
Eric, I have found Acrobat to be very weak with regards to Applescript. I've even looked at combining some Javascript to get further options, with no sucess yet. In all of my digging to date I have not found anything about separations should I find anything I will let you know. Acrobat does not even have a class for settings that you could load by name etc.

Offline Erik Youngren

• Robotech and Rolemaster freak.
    • Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums
Re: Printing seps from Acrobat 6.0/5.0 via Applescript
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:21:45 AM »
Yeah, that's what I've heard. So far it seems to be bearing out unfortunately. I've managed to get a few things done with it though so I was hoping. My only other option is just to go ahead and send a job to the printer with the settings I want from Acrobat and then leave it that way on the machine I intend to do this on. It'll then pick up those settings when the script calls it. Didn't want to do that because I can't be consistantly sure that it's going to print the same way every time. Oh well.

It's be easier to do all this from XPress, but I get screwed up seps when printing EPS files directly from there, if they print at all. That's why I generate a PDF and print my color pages from Acrobat.

Thanks, and let me know if you find anything.

BTW, Michel, thanks for the expansion....

EDIT: Also, just realized that Acrobat 5.0 does not support printing of seps. Guess that came around in version 6.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 11:20:44 AM by Erik Youngren »

Erik Youngren
Wandering Monk Rolemaster Forums
17" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz • 2GB RAM •OSX 10.4.11 • QXP 8.5 • ID CS4 • Suitcase Fusion 2