Author Topic: Box overflow  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
Re: Box overflow
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
While non printing characters may be of no consequence when printing, the overflow indicator is there to tell you that not all the intended text fits in the marked text box. I really do not think it is wise to disregard the marker on the simple fact that they have no impact on your prints. The next time you will open that document, you will again see the overflow marker and wonder again if it is a "valid" one (as per YOUR explanation) or not.

I tend to solve these problems DEFINITEVELY in my documents, that way, anybody opening the document will not wonder if its good or not (the guy at the print shop comes to mind). You may as well have proof read the whole doc and determined that all overflow markers have no bearing on the final output and sent the doc to the print shop for output. The problem that may arise is that the print shop uses a slightly diffferent font than your which makes your text overflows even more. The print guy calls you stated that your have text overflowing and you tell him: "Go ahaead, it's ok". You see where I am going with this... You chose to disregard a marker that is designed to help you because you did not want to take the time to fix a flawed layout to begin with all the while causing a potentially very costly mistake.

My solution here would be to loop through all overflowing boxes and delete the last "non printing" character and repeat while the box is overflowing. Something like:

001   property nonPrintingCharList : {return, space, tab}

002   tell application "QuarkXPress"
003      activate
004      tell document 1
005         try
006            set otbList to object reference of every text box whose box overflows is true
007            repeat with otb in otbList
008               tell otb
009                  repeat while box overflows is true
010                     if last character of story 1 is in nonPrintingCharList then
011                        delete character -1 of story 1
012                     else
013                        exit repeat
014                     end if
015                  end repeat
016               end tell
017            end repeat
018         end try

019         try
020            set otbListFinal to object reference of every text box whose box overflows is true
021            set trueCount to count of otbListFinal
022            set ReportString to "ERROR: There is(are) " & trueCount & " overflowing boxe(s) in this document"
023         on error
024            set ReportString to "PASSED: There are no overflowing boxes in this document"
025         end try

026         beep 3
027         display dialog ReportString buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon caution with title "Overflow Box Test"

028      end tell
029   end tell
Note:
The line numbers included with this script are there to aid future discussions. In order to use this script, you will have to strip all of them.

Hope this helps!
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline AutoFetishist

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
Michel, I agree, absolutely. If one makes a habit of ignoring warnings, they lose their utility.

Good to see you back, by the way.
Do you think QX has a chance, now that Adobe is showing its true nature (requiring monthly subscriptions)?

Perhaps people will abandon InDesign?

Offline Jean-Marie Schwartz

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 02:18:52 AM »
Hi Michel! Good to read from you again!  :)

Thanks for your script. Just wondering why you do not simply go to Utilities > Text Overflow  :)
Well I know, your script brings up that little thing that automates the deletion of unnecessary chars + one can somehow insert it in a much complex script.

Are you still working or playing with AppleScript and Quark? Or was it more to give us a sign you're still alive?  :D
Jean-Marie Schwartz
May the Schwartz be with you :-)

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 Mac OS 10.8.5 QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 Adobe CS5 =

Offline Publi-Script

• Administrator
  • Automate your Life!
    • Publi-Script.com
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
Hi Jean-Marie,

I went the "script" way because that is what the OP wanted...

And to answer your other question, my last "steady" work with Quark was with Q7. I am no longer in the prepress business although I still take on some contracts from home (mostly scripting contracts)
Michel Lemieux
Forum Administrator
-------------------------
OS X 10.6.4
Quark 6.5 / 7.5 / 8.1.6
Adobe Design Premium CS / CS2 / CS3 / CS4 / CS5
Script Debugger 4.5

Offline Jean-Marie Schwartz

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 02:30:22 AM »
I went the "script" way because that is what the OP wanted...
Oops! I'm so sorry! Totally forgot an OP should even exist  ::)
And to answer your other question, my last "steady" work with Quark was with Q7. I am no longer in the prepress business although I still take on some contracts from home (mostly scripting contracts)
OK, I knew you left the prepress biz. Glad to see you keep on scripting!  :)
Jean-Marie Schwartz
May the Schwartz be with you :-)

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 Mac OS 10.8.5 QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 Adobe CS5 =