Author Topic: Adding Pantone Colors...  (Read 1659 times)

Offline TecNik

Adding Pantone Colors...
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:06 AM »
Hi There,

Just a quick query, is it possible to add 'Pantone Solid Coated' colours in Quark?
I've been trying a number of things but as yet I've not managed.

Here's by base script on which I've tried a few variations:-

Code: [Select]
tell application "QuarkXPress"
activate
tell document 1

if not (exists (color spec ("PANTONE 3005 C"))) then

make color spec at beginning with properties {name:"PANTONE 3005 C", CMYK color value:{64783, 16037, 2598, 30}, HSB color value:{37802, 56466, 49240}, RGB color value:{6815, 29684, 49240}, angle:"45", index:8, locked:false, registration color:false, separation:false, long name:"PANTONE 3005 C", short name:"3005", lock:false, uniqueID:36}
end if

end tell

end tell

This adds the colour ok, but it's not the same as if you'd selected the color from the Pantone Solid Coated color book.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Offline Jean-Marie Schwartz

Re: Adding Pantone Colors...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »
Hi there ! Quite hard to sort out! It appears that color systems belong to the Application level. I can't seem to find a way to retrieving relevant info for adding a color spec from a color system though.
Maybe you can send Matthias Guenther an e-mail and ask the AS team how to get it work properly (if possible).
Jean-Marie Schwartz
May the Schwartz be with you :-)

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.8.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 • Adobe CS5 =

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 02:56:07 AM »
Oh! thinking of it: you should choose only one type of color values (probably HSB) and let Quark calculate the equivalence in other modes. This said one should really create a new color spec straight from a color system library. All the info seem to be there.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.8.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 • Adobe CS5 =

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 03:40:34 AM »
Can you give this a shot?

set cont to "OK"
set i to 1
repeat while cont is "OK"
try
set the_props to name of color spec i of color system 30
on error
set i to i + 1
end try
if the_props is "3005" then
set cont to "NO"
set the_short_name to short name of color spec i of color system 30
set the_long_name to long name of color spec i of color system 30
set {H_value, S_value, B_value} to HSB color value of color spec i of color system 30
end if
set i to i + 1
end repeat
my Bip(1)
tell document 1
make new color spec at end with properties {name:the_long_name, HSB color value:{H_value, S_value, B_value}, separation:false}
end tell
my Bip(2)
end tell

on Bip(x)
beep x
end Bip

It appears that Pantone Solid Coated color system is number 30 in my environment. Not sure wether it is universal. You can run a simple code to check it in your environment like this:

set the_sys to every color system
repeat with i from 1 to length of the_sys
if name of item i of the_sys is "PANTONE® solid coated" then
set the_number to i
end if
end repeat
end tell
return the_number

HTH.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Offline TecNik

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:41:08 PM »
Hi Jean-Marie,
Apologies for not being back to you sooner.

Thanks for the help with this query, the script adds the colour to the palette ok.
The only problem is the colour is the colour that is added is made up of HSB, it's not a Pantone Colour?

Is there a way to add a Pantone Colour using the Pantone Colour model?

Thanks again for your help Jean-Marie.

Nick

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 02:17:41 AM »
I think the separation set to false will do the trick. Any color in Quark is made up of Lab or HSB or whatever, but since we picked up the info straight into Pantone color system info I guess it'll be the right values. And since the name is taken from the Pantone color library, I think it's OK and enough to print correctly. Could you make a test and your printer service wether it is OK?

EDIT: To expand on that the HSB values are just given to define the new color "in Quark", not to define the ink at the printer level; that will be defined after the name of the color as not separated, so any object set to that new color will output on a plate named Pantone… That's all you need actually. HTH.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:07:05 AM by Jean-Marie Schwartz »
Jean-Marie Schwartz